Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Day

I'd like to start off saying Merry Christmas to those of you who celebrate it, and to those of you who don't--Happy Holidays.

Among many traditions in my home, I am always the one who wakes up the house, and hands out gifts on Christmas. This year when I went to hand King Arthur a gift, he said "No thanks." And I paused, stunned, glared at him, and continued. Recently he has isolated himself from our family, but he thinks it's the other way around.

This is Aneta's first Christmas without BOTH of her parents, so this year the holiday has been a little tough for her, all things considered. Her husband decided to spend all of Christmas Eve without her, and the rest of Christmas Day without her. And when she went to confront him about it, he blamed her (But remember, we're isolating him). I'm telling you, Aneta got him a frying pan, and he's so damn lucky I didn't him him upside the head with it.

Of the various array of gifts I received, a luggage set was among them. I also got leather gloves, a new leather belt, some button-ups, the newest PostSecret book, a Burberry scarf, and some other smaller, useful gifts. I am very satisfied.

Richard called me yesterday, and I missed the call. I feel really guilty about it, considering he has no home phone, and I have no way to reach him to wish him a Merry Christmas, since he isn't at work. Sorry to disappoint you. I will be calling you first thing Monday Morning.

Aneta and I sat and had a talk after Charles left for his Grandmother's and her husband, Arthur, left to see his buddy or something stupid. She told me that she's only holding on because she knows she can't afford the electric bill or her health insurance on her own. She waited over 20 years to be with her husband, and less than 5 years of marriage, he has become a whole different person. As her fourth marriage, and the one she REALLY THOUGHT was going to work, it seemingly fell apart the fastest.

On this Christmas Day I think of words of wisdom from my Aunt, who we'll call Madame Dupont. Madame Dupont told me, "Don't ever get married," as we hung clothes on the clothes line this summer. Madame Dupont is well known for her sense of humor, but at this very moment in time, she was indirectly letting me see into the life of a married person. I can't wait until you spend the night on Sunday, Madame!

After my long struggle of being single, I have learned that I'd rather be miserable alone, than twice as miserable with someone else. And that's what Christmas means to me.