Monday, March 1, 2010

Individuality

I think that every day that modern culture progresses, I see that people are trying harder and harder to express their individuality. The truth is that most of us aren't individuals.

I was on Facebook earlier today and saw that someone who's quite generic and joins fan pages often and strives to be like her popular peers joined a fan page called, "Don't ever compare me to her. I am ME." I just rolled my eyes and thought, maybe if you didn't wear a North Face, and American Eagle from head to toe, you wouldn't be compared to the 1,000's of others who do.

People get so hung up on their identity, and it's not defined by who you are, or what you post on your Facebook page. It's defined by how you dress, how you do your hair, how you walk, how much you weigh, who you hang out with, and what you do. You can argue that everyone has their quirks, and blah blah blah, but truth be told, their so subtle that noone sees them and noone really cares.

Supposedly we live in a classless society in the United States. Whadda joke, right?! Though it isn't clearly defined officially, we can see it everywhere. I see it at work, while I'm shopping, when I'm at school, and even in my own home. It's everywhere and we can't escape it.

I want to say I'm an individual, but I even know that I hardly am. But I'm gay, so it's a little unfair to the rest of you I guess. Boo hoo!

In sum, I'm tired of people who do the same thing as everyone else--complain about how though their life is, shopping at the same stores as everyone else, and copying things and saying you were "inspired." Just realize you aren't unique so you can get on with the rest of your life.