Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Inspiring Youth

In a time in my life where I feel as if I need a reality check, and I need to grow up, some kids that I met at work really helped me put some things into prospective.

Some days I contemplate just buying a decent pair of straight fit jeans, a dark colored t-shirt, and a plain pair of sneakers and wearing it every day. As the days go on, getting ready, shopping, and staying modern, seem to be a chore more than a good time.

Over the weekend at work, I was stationed in the kids department. I enjoy that department only because customers usually need assistance, so I don't get as lonely. A mother with a thick Spanish accent of some sort needed some help buying jeans for what seemed to be triplets. All three had their own unique personalities, and were equally outgoing for the most part, but I don't think their mother told them not to talk to strangers.

The boys were around 10, and I could tell they were just getting some say in what they wear. The mother had them try on some boot fit, because she thought the wash was nice. The one kid piped up and said he wanted skinny jeans, but I recommended the straight fit. I told their mother that since her children were so thin, they should probably get that since the boot fit would look like it didn't fit. I further recommended the slim straight, which she also went for. And I'm pretty sure her kids knew I was doing this just for them.

One of the kids asked me, "Do you really think the world will end in 2012?" while his mother spoke with me, I told him no, and his mother told him not to interrupt. As their mom was shopping, that same kid came over to me, and was all chill like, "So, what's up?" I want like um, my job? He asked me if I liked my job, and if I was in college, and where I go to school and such. The kid seemed to be fascinated with adult hood. His brothers came over and joined in on the conversation. It was awkward at first, but I felt less uncomfortable as time went on.

I think the kids thought I was cool, or at least interesting. It made me think that I'm fine the way I am, despite people suggesting tweaks to my look, or renovating it all together. Despite, my recent doubt, I am completely confident once again.

The kid left with saying, "Good luck with school, and whatever." You too bud!